So if I were one of those lamos who doesn't really understand what a testimony is I would bear a testimony at the pulpit about calculus...and it would go something like this:
My life, and life in general is like a calculus problem.
It is something I work at all day every day and at the end of every day I feel like I could never grasp the concepts I am supposed to be learning.
There are problems that are easy,then there are ones that have an answer but may take you a whole semester to figure out.
There are problems that you have to ask for help.
You may have to start learning and trying something new before you're ready.
It can take 15 tries before you finally solve a problem correctly.
You can use one method on one problem but not necessarily on the next.
It gives you a headache.
It stresses you out.
It's not all bad though. First of all you have a teacher that knows all the answers to your questions before you even ask. You have TAs that are like angels willing to help you. You can find comfort in the math lab. You have parents that know the answer. When you make a mistake you can learn from it. You can start over! It helps you to learn how to do hard things, and teaches you about the joy of success and knowledge.
That's my little testimony analogy. I actually thought it was pretty great. I have been thinking about the whole analogy a lot lately. About the Atonement and the plan that my Heavenly Father has for me. I realize that even when life feels hard or even like it's not possible to move on, I can take comfort in the fact that he knows the answer. He knows the best way to show me how to solve my problem. He knows that I am trying really hard and he has given me lots of resources to be successful, like the Book of Mormon, personal prayer, family and friends. He understands that I don't always understand and he lets me make mistakes and start over. He never lets me give up. I love him for that.
I can also take comfort in the fact that like all of my trials, calculus will eventually be over.
Wow, even if some people took calculus for a life time they would not learn the lessons you just shared. Bonus points because you were not boring in the least. Love ya
ReplyDelete