So this week in art history we were discussing Romanticism. We talked about how the art of this period was often
sublime. So my teacher is super weird and she is always using large words that I am pretty sure she makes up. She reminds me of Martha Stewart in that way. Instead of describing something with one adjective it takes her 5 to 7. Well turns out I didn't really know what sublime meant but she used it an awful lot to describe romantic art. She said it means pleasurable fear....what? I didn't know there was such a thing. The TA in lab tried to tell us that it means like when you see a car crash you love it but you're glad it's not you. I thought that was a stupid explanation but I guess it sorta makes sense. She said though that it does apply more to nature and storms which is true. I mean I love watching hurricanes and earthquakes on movies and stuff but I am glad I don't actually have to live them. So those are my thoughts on sublime. Here is what I think best captures sublime according to my teacher's definition:

and this is what my teacher thinks is sublime:

Either she's not good at explaining or she sucks at adjectives....
haha were working on Romaticism in English as well, and she showed us that Napolean picture, but that one isn't a good example if nature in terms of Romaticism! It's more of an example of Romantics view of historical events. :P
ReplyDeleteIt actually is because this is Napolean crossing the St. Bernard...a part in the Swiss Alps.Everyone at the time knew that this was a very treacherous crossing. He made reference to himself doing it because of that specific connection, thus showing off his great power. Treacherous nature, aka Alps=Sublime. I win.
ReplyDeleteWow all of that tuition money is being put to good use. You are only 19 and used the word thus. I am impressed.
ReplyDeleteI'm a genius...what can I say?
ReplyDeletewell I can't beat that come back haha, I'm only in high school! :(
ReplyDeletehaha yeah i am in college ;)
ReplyDelete